Measurement of Matter Science Reflection

In science class we have been learning about measurement of matter. Now, we have just finished our unit of measurement of matter. This reflection is going to cover what new things I learned, what was the most memorable and meaningful and why?

Some new things that I learned in this unit was a lot. Like  how to measure volume of an irregular object. Also, how to measure the mass of an object. Another thing is what is density. Finally, how to find density? I found out how to all of those at the end of the unit. It was very interesting how they worked, and why? I had no idea and no since I know I can remember it and have it for my life.  Though, the most important thing that I thought was how to find the volume of the irregular shape. Well, you can find the volume of an irregular object with water displacements. Their are two methods to find the volume of a irregular object. The first way is to get a graduated cylinder,  and the object. First you can put some water in the graduated cylinder, then put the object in slowly. Tilt the graduated cylinder while putting the object in so the graduated cylinder doesn't break. Before you put the object in, check the water level on the graduated cylinder, then put the object in. Then check the water level again. Then mince the amount when you put the object in, and the water level without the object. That is the volume of the object. Another way is to get in overflow can (dribble up), a graduated cylinder, a beaker, and the object. Fill the overflow can with water above the hole, while you are doing that block the hole so water won't come out. Then you can put the the overflow hole to the beaker, than let the water come out. After that you can dump the water out of the beaker, or put it in another beaker. Then you get the beaker and put it to the hole. After that put the object into the water. Once you do that, and their is no more water to come out, then measure that amount of water with a graduated cylinder. Find out the water level, and that will be your volume for that object.

What is the most meaningful and memorable was probably building out submarine with a water bottle. This is the most meaningful because my partner and I both did it together. Another this is that I learned by myself with my partner how to work it. Like how to make it sink(negatively buoyant), how to make it float(positively buoyant), and how to make it stay in the middle(neutral buoyant)? We had to do it like 4 times.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Board

Service Learning Semester 2