Dividing Fractions


      In class were are learning dividing fractions. So, we were doing dividing by mix fractions and improper fractions, and just plain fractions. In this blog I am going to show you how to divide 3/4 ÷ 1/8.

      Well the first step is to draw a model. The first thing to do is see the first fraction and draw that. So I drew 3/4.  Then you think how much can the next one go into to first one. So, how much can 1/8 go into 3/4. I said 1/8 can go into 1/4 twice so 2/8=1/4. Though  I need to do it 3 times because it's 3/4's. 1/8 can go into 3/4 6 times. so the answer is 6.
   


The second step is too do the algorithm to double check if the answer is correct. The method is Copy-Change-Flip. The first step is you copy the first fraction, the second step is to change to sign, instead of ÷ you change it to x , the third step is to make the 1/8 to a 8/1. Changing 1/8 to 8/1 is meaning that 8/1 is the reciprocal of 1/8. Another example is 1/4, is the same as 4/1. This is because if your times 1/4 x 4/1 = 1, so it is the same. Anyway back to the problem, 3/4 x 8/1 = 24/4. 24 ÷ 4 = 6, and 4 goes into 24 goes in 6 times. The answer is 6. 
   

The final step is to compare the picture answer and the algorithm answer, if you get the same answer you are probably right because you have two ways of showing your answer and finding the answer. 




This is how you find out how to divide fractions with the problem of 3/4 ÷ by 1/8. I hope that you learned a lot from this blog post and have a good time with dividing fractions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Board

Service Learning Semester 2